Saint Mark’s Episcopal Church (Columbus, Ohio)
Saint Mark’s is accepting applications for the position of Organist, with a flexible start date, preferably on or before January 1, 2022. The position is part-time. Compensation commensurate with experience. The position conforms to the principles set forth by the American Guild of Organists and the Association of Anglican Musicians.
Saint Mark’s is a vibrant suburban parish in the Columbus neighborhood of Upper Arlington. The parish has a strong, traditional music program that includes two choirs, one for adults and one for children, and a varied repertoire that spans from the Renaissance to the present day. Saint Mark’s is an affiliate institution of the Royal School of Church Music in America.
- Serve as organist for two Sunday morning services (8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.). Principal source for congregational hymns and service music is the Hymnal 1982.
- Select and play music for preludes, postludes, and other portions of the liturgy as required. Improvise as necessary to fill liturgical space.
- Accompany the choir(s) in rehearsal prior to the 10:30 a.m. Sunday service and for two anthems during the service throughout the choir season (September to June).
- Serve as rehearsal accompanist for two weekly choir rehearsals (children’s choir on Wednesday afternoons, adult choir on Thursday evenings).
- Play and accompany the choirs for periodic special services, such as Choral Evensong, Festival of Advent Lessons and Carols, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, and other services as determined by the Director of Music and the Rector.
- Accompany the choirs for local, national, and international travel, such as the adult choir’s upcoming residency at Wells Cathedral, UK, in summer 2022.
- Play for parish weddings and funerals as needed and available (supplementary compensation).
- Proficient as both soloist and accompanist
- Flexible and able to work as part of a team
- Familiar with Episcopal liturgy
Description of the Organ:
Casavant, opus 3616 (1987, enlarged by Casavant in 2016). Three manuals and pedal. Three divisions, 35 stops, 41 ranks. View the specifications.
The organist is welcome to use the organ for the teaching of private pupils.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Applications will be reviewed beginning August 15, 2021.